Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stainless Steel Anchor Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

berdindc

Structural
Aug 27, 2010
US
Hi,

Stainless steel bolts for a WF canopy column. Architectually exposed, architect wants to see the bolts. Right now I'm thinking A316L type 70. I'm having a hard time finding some good values of Fy and Fu and E to use in my calculations.

But I am learning a lot about stainless steel. There are some large tension forces in the bolts and I want to make sure these bad boys work.

Any suggestions??! Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not to make you life too difficult, but see if you can find a duplex stainless. There are a lot of alloys, but all have similar properties. The alloy names are strings of numbers (2205, 2003, 2101, 2404, and so on).
These alloys have high strength without cold work (or much higher with some work), good corrosion resistance, and great cracking resistance.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Do you mean the right-angle/L type of anchor bolts, or expansion anchors? Neither type are produced to ASTM standards, so it is best to consult with actual manufacturers for these products. Here are two sources for the former:

Portland Bolt & Manufacturing

FM Stainless Fasteners

There are a number of sources for the latter, such as Hilti, Simpson, Powers Fasteners, etc. When you mentioned A316L type 70, are you using the nomenclature for metric fasteners such as ASTM F 738M? If so, grade 316L (Property Class A4-70) has minimum requirements of YS = 300 MPa, UTS = 550 MPa, & Elongation = 0.2*D. This is a good starting point for discussions with manufacturers.

Great, thanks for the input. The Portland Bolt website was perfect. I am going to specify the bolts with 90 degree bends. 1" diameter, ASTM A304, minimum yield stress Fy=35 ksi. I believe that should be sufficient to ensure the contractor is getting the right material.

These are in a location where they will be protected from corrosion right? (in other words, not at grade in a place where they salt in the winter)

I saw a large quantity of rebar in 2101 recently. Weldable, no coating to damage, and a min yield of 75ksi.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

You may want to consider using threaded rods with a nut secured to the embedded end. They have better holding capacity than L or J bolts.

Dik

Dik,
We typically use J-bolts at columns where uplift is not a problem. Columns where the anchor bolts really don't do much other than provide erection stability.
Columns with uplift/moments we will use threaded bolts with nuts.

Oldrunner,
AISC Design Guide #1 and/or ACI 318 Appendix D provides design information for J-bolts.

-dan

You will go to more trouble and add more cost to the project by using specialty stainless J bolts. For a commercial project, use straight threaded rod with a double-nutted plate at the bottom, even if the tension demand is low.
J-bolts are for residential / wood framed only.

berdindc:

Uplift or not, you mentioned that you had large tensile forces... Been using headed/threaded bolts for nearly 20 years and specifically note that J or L bolts shall not be used.

Dik

Thanks you sirs. Intend to use threaded bolts with tack welded nut due to large base moments.

That's the plan, until the SS gets v.E.'ed out of the project.

I am designing some exterior Structural SS elsewhere on this project..any good references by AISC? I have a Euro Inox publication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back