Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stainless steel burr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmfaubert

Materials
Oct 21, 2015
CA
Hi, Im new to this forum and still somewhat new to laser cutting. my question would be, how do I get 2.5mm thick 304 stainless steel to cut with NO burr or slag on it or minimal burr or slag. the company Im working at has a Prima Optimo 5 axis laser cutter. Im trying to cut 2.5mm thick 304 stainless steel and there is a burr on it about 0.010in or 0.254mm thick. Here are the cutting parameters Im currently using, Shutter:3, Type:2, Power:700, Frequency:80, DutyC:20, Gas Pressure:4.0, Gas Type:Oxygen. Im also using a 1.5mm tip. My standoff is 1.2mm. I have tried probably a hundred different changes to my parameter settings and so far this is the best I have found. I do also have the option to use Nitrogen at my shop. If you have any knowledge that would help me out then Id greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As mentioned by Laserninja, using nitrogen will give you the best results. When cutting with nitrogen, use full power, max freq and max DC. Increase your gas pressure to 8 bar. Focal point should be below material surface; between 1/2 and 3/4 of the material thickness. You may have to use a bigger nozzle if you still get a hard burr all around.

Go to a 3.0 single flow nozzle
C-SS0.119_ppbimc.jpg

I agree with the above. You've got to go with Nitrogen and a larger nozzle and more gas pressure and .020" or .5mm gap. (8-10 bar pressure with a 2mm nozzle is what I use) Also maximum freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back