Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stainless Steel Metric Grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luceid

Structural
Feb 16, 2023
US
Hi all,

Was just reading a different post about stainless steel which reminded me of something I meant to ask!

I have a small project which previously used ASTM 304 Stainless Bolts, specifically with a yield strength of 30 ksi (Tensile strength = 70 ksi). The project is being built again abroad, and I am updating the spec to be metric. I poked around online for a bit, and stumbled on a couple of resources saying that 70 ksi Grade 304 is the same as Grade A2-70. Does anyone have a solid resource with comparative steel grades between metric and imperial, just to have on hand down the road (To avoid digging through ASTM's and ugly manufacturer guides)? Also wondering if there is any other nuance, or if calling out "Grade A2-70" bolts in general notes is the proper way to do it.

Appreciate the tips!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is not a comparison, but might be helpful (Table 2.1 and 2.2):
Eurocode 3 - Design of steel structures - Part 1-4: General rules - Supplementary rules for stainless steels.

This code refers out to EN 10088 (Structural stainless steels) and EN ISO 3506 for stainless steel bolts.

Does your ASTM bolt spec have a "M" version?
If so then just call that out with the metric size.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back