Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stainless steel pipe RO leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nad87

Chemical
Mar 26, 2020
QA
Hello,
there is on ss pipe in small RO plant which was not working maybe for 1 or 2 years now we are checking to restart this plant the proble in the ss pipe there is leakage in elbow and T our workers tried to fix with normal stainless steel welding rod 2 times but still leak coming also we tried to give to factory to do argon welding still same problem any one know a solution because we can not purchase new material right now we need to arrange leakage in same old pipe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is likely heavily pitted on the ID and you are trying weld from the outside.
Look inside and see if there is any metal really left.What material is it? Are you sure of the alloy? Do you have the correct filler for that alloy?
If you are lucky there will be line or row of pits along the ID. You will be able to grind those out and then weld fill the slot that is left.
If the pitting is more widespread then replacing pipe sections is your only option.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy

So is the elbow / tee itself leaking or the weld?

What sort of leaking?

Any photos / drawing?

Can you get some UT on the pipe and area where it is "leaking"

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

thanks for replying,
here is photos
leak1_cd8bdt.png
leak2_b9plri.png
leak3_z7gcvz.png
leak4_oiwcuc.png

When you have something corroded like that you have to grind out the corrosion and in most cases the old welds completely.
Then you can prep, clean, purge, and weld.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy

If that's Stl Stl on the brackish water side?? then you've probably got pitting corrosion going on.

The amount of weld on the elbow is unreal

The tee looks like a socket weld??

Is the elbow the same?

This is a strip down and rebuild job here. Just adding blobs of metal on the outside won't work.

Or just put a bucket under it.

Thanks a lot for replying,
I already give it back to the workshop and I asked them to remove all the old welding and corrosion and make grinding then we can weld again.
we will see maybe if they clean it good it will work the argon welding is stronger one.
Thank you all

I wondered about those, but many don't like being a leak plug, but more like a re-inforcement.

This needs something more than a plaster.

I think these are socket weld joints where the fluid has got into the socket and corroded it through.

With nearly a dozen leak points near the elbow and fitting, just replace the entire section of pipe and fittings. Just regular patching will not work

Absolutely agree with hacksaw.

Procure SS piping and plan for the complete replcament at the earliest opportunity. Hope the workshop guys are conversant with the material grade and filler wires required.

DHURJATI SEN
Kolkata, India

Dear all,

Thanks for replying
For who told me about new material, yes you have reason and that what i suggested but now it's very difficult to find material the majority of workshops and shops are closed and some industrial areas are closed also so that is why we are trying to fix without replacing for now.

What pressure is this system at that is leaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back