Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stainless steel pitting in dearated conditions 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREAAM

Materials
Mar 7, 2013
GB
Is there a credible risk of chloride pitting or SCC in production lines/risers (flexibles with 316 and 304 carcass) and or produce water reinjection duplex lines (no sea water) handling deaerated produced fluids with chloride concentration of up to 100,000 mg/l, at temperatures up to 120°C.
It is assumed that since there is no seawater injection the produced fluids are oxygen free.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is always a 'credible risk.' What you appear to be asking is: is there a more than negligible likelihood. I certainly would not like to see 304 in the frame, but the others stand a reasonable chance. As usual, there isn't a great deal of fluid compositional data to go on. For questions like this your first reference point could be

Most data will be for parent materials, but it is more likely that any welds will be the problem area.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

The reinjection bothers me, because unless the system is very good there will be oxygen in it. It does not take much.
In such a system I wouldn't touch an austenitic, at least the duplex grades have some resistance to SCC.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back