Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stainless Steel Raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClausB

Electrical
Oct 7, 2002
US
I am looking for input on the use of stainless steel tubing as an electrical raceway (low voltage control, 120 volt, 480 volt circuits). I am doing work in dairy processing facilities and the clients have asked that stainless steel be specified in lieu of PVC coated GRS. We are familiar with installations where thinwall, low pressure stainless steel tubing was utilized with all joints welded and all equipment/devices mounted in stainless steel, hinged door boxes.

Does anyone else have experience with this or aware of any ST/ST products specific for this application? I cannot find any.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I checked that site. Amazing! I have searched the web before and never locked on to that site. The prices are outrageous, but if st/st is necessary, then we have no choice.

Thanks.

Wait until you try to work with it! Your drill bits will get VERY hot. Make sure you cool them with cooling fluid, and set your RPM's correctly.

scary prices

$27 a foot for 3/4 tube....i suspect they must offer high discounts or they have mixed up price per foot and price per length

ClausB,

I worked on a project for a Food Processing facility where everything (conduit, air piping, process piping, structural steel) was specified Stainless Steel. In looking at the prices that that Calpipe is charging, they are way out of line. Talk to your local electrical contractor and tell them what you are looking for. They will be able to find a local supplier that will offer better pricing then Calpipe. In looking at their website, it looks like they are also providing a polish to the exterior surface. This is going above and beyond what most manufacturing facilities would require and might explain the high prices they are charging.

Also Hoffman enclosures has standard panel boxes that are stainless steel. They might manufacture raceway that is stainless if you wanted to pursue this rather then conduit. The other option on the panel boxes is to go with a plastic, rather then the stainless.

Rich...[viking]

Richard Nornhold, PE
nornrich@redrose.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back