Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STAINLESS STUD-TORQUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdc02254

Aerospace
Oct 9, 2003
GB
Hello,

I am very new to Pro-Mechanica, about to go on a course but eager to get started. I have what Im sure you will call a very simple analaysis I want look at in Mechnica.

I have a stainless stud which we have used for some year but we have now put a notch 3/4 way down the stud. I want to see how this will effect the stud when it is done up.

One end will be constratined and torque will be applied to the other end.

How can I do this.

Regards

Brett

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As described in the previous post "Moment Load":
You have to create a moment load using total load at point.
Add a datum point at the centre of the surface where you want to apply the torque, then as you add the load to the surface, under the distribution pull down (under advanced) choose "Total Load at Point", pick the point and enter your moment load value. If you click Preview, you should see that the load is a torque load.

Without seeing your model, it's difficult to say, but try to mimic the real world situation as best as you can. In other words, how is the stud held in practice, how is the torque load transmitted to the stud - through which surfaces. But if you're only interested in stress at the notch, then how the part is loaded/constrained is not so relevant, so long as the notched area sees the torque load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back