Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

stairway 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdafd

Specifier/Regulator
Aug 18, 2005
US
So say you have a five story hotel, made out of wood.

The stairs are completely enclosed. typical set up

1. is sprinkler protection required at the intermediate landings?

2. or is it the intention of the one at the top to protect the intermediate, depending on the layout.

3. 8.15.3 uses the word "beneath" is that for totally open stairs, as in no walls?

4. I know appendix is not, but seems like a conflict between 8.15.3.1.2* and A.8.15.3.1.2.

8.15.3 Stairways.

8.15.3.1 Combustible Construction. Sprinklers shall be installed beneath all stairways of combustible construction.

8.15.3.1.1 Sprinklers shall be installed at the top of combustible stair shafts.

8.15.3.1.2* Sprinklers shall be installed under the landings at each floor level.

A.8.15.3.1.2 Sprinklers at each floor level landing should be positioned to protect both the floor level landing and any intermediate landing.

8.15.3.1.3 Sprinklers shall be installed beneath the lowest intermediate landing.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No extra sprinkler is required at the intermediate landings as long as below each floor landing there is a sprinkler that is arranged to protect both main and intermediate. So I don't really see a conflict between 8.15.3.1.2 and A.8.15.3.1.2. There is also extra wording in the commentary about the subject that maybe helps,

The requirement in 8.15.3.1 for sprinklers to be installed under “all stairways” needs some clarification.
In stairs with both floor landings and intermediate floor landings, the interpretation has been that the
sprinklers need to be installed under both, but that is not the committee’s intent because that would be
overkill. The committee believes the original intent of this section was to provide protection at the floor
landings.

Finaly, my personal interpretation is that if for some reason the sprinkler on the main landing cannot cover the intermediate area (let's say due to obstruction or special layout), both sprinklers would be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back