Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stakes for Formwork Bracing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeCTE

Structural
Feb 21, 2014
US
Are there any design guidelines and/or examples of how to calculate the capacity of a stake (rebar or 2x4) driven into the ground a few feet to support a knee brace for formwork windload? I'm sure if we ran an AllPile analysis, the capacity will be quite low, but in reality, it's pretty reasonable.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mikeCTE said:
...how to calculate the capacity of a stake (rebar or 2x4) driven into the ground a few feet...

No guidelines that I know of. Capacity will depend on soil properties. Can't say that I have come across formwork bracing stakes driven "a few feet" in the ground.

IMHO, if soil was "bad" enough to do that, stakes would not achieve fixity and loading would cause stakes to fail quickly (rotate) when load was applied.

On the other hand, if the soil was "good" and the stakes were embedded "a few feet", bending / shear capacity of rebar or lumber would be the limit.

[idea]

I'd contact a foundation contractor. By experience he likely has a few "rules". Once the forms give way with fresh concrete one learns a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back