Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stamping Dies - Spring type guide pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vindicit

Mechanical
May 24, 2016
US
On the topic of sheet metal stamping tooling, I have 0.010in thick sheet metal parts that are already blanked out. Afterwards there is additional forming processes. After these forming processes theres hole punches to pierce the bolt holes. Im finding out that during these forming processes that the profile of these stamped parts is not consistent. The profile of these parts is what is being used for locating the part for hole piercing. The part is located with guide pins on its outside profile. If the part profile is not consistent then its sloppy on the pins or too tight.

What Im looking for is some kind of guide pin replacement on one side that has some kind of spring on it to push the stamped part against a normal guide pin so the part is tight. Is there something like that available? The picture kind of describes it.
PIC_i6j3sr.gif

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks John [smile] I will look into those spring clamping pins. At first glance they seem to be for heavy/large objects. Where this picture shows how they work
wpr_grafik_350_x_90_iwjfff.jpg

Other suggestions are welcome, I am just trying to get ideas of what is available.

thanks Hendersdc for those suggestions. I havent seen misumi-ec before. [smile]
Even for .010in thick material you would use some of these?

I'm not sure how well any of these might work with 0.010" thick sheet, you might have to buy a few and try them out. It looks like most with springs are offered with varying loads.

You might also consider using a magnet on one side to pull the sheet over, assuming it is ferrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back