Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stamping Titanium Grade 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2022
CA
I'm working on a project that requires us to produce a rather complex geometry from titanium grade 2. I assume stamping is the best bet in this case, but I'm concerned that it might be difficult given the strong mechanical properties of titanium. The real question I have is something like this possible with stamping? If not, what process would be best? We are already producing these parts via machining, looking to move away from this to a cheaper more mass producible process.

See the attached images of the approx intended design.
Also, just to note there are no rad's included in the CAD but obviously they would be needed.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a4a3f1cc-0b79-4e19-af64-564e7629fe6d&file=Stamp_2.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The geometry isn't any different than a plate for a plate and frame heat exchanger and those are commonly stamped from titanium. The material thickness may have an impact on feasibility.

It depends how many , one or ten thousand, embossing may be a trick, I recommend, is draw it up send out for quotes and see if any supplier will touch it.
and other alternative may be a break press, and laser cut for small quantities.

First Tigr2 isn't strong. It is rather soft, low modulus, galls easily, and very notch sensitive.
Exchanger plates are press formed, like stamping but slower.
Keeping them flat is the trick.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back