Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard for free-standing steel structures - not buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodger Furey

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2023
US
I'm trying to find any standards concerning the design of free-standing steel structures like the attached image.
This structure supports the rails for an overhead automated hoist. Capacity, 2000 lbs.
I am concerned that our current analysis of the structure design does not sufficiently look at every failure point.
I have been through the AISC manual of steel construction and have been dabbling with SkyCiv 3D structural software.
I am running into instances where the calcs seem to be tailored to building design and might be inappropriate for the structures I am dealing with.
If a standard exists, that would be great.
If not, perhaps some guidance on how to approach this problem from a structural engineer?
Thx!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ba65df53-8288-4945-a0f7-4b90776e72f9&file=Hoist_Frame.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are not a structural engineer then I suggest you talk to one. An amateur dabbling in SkyCiv trying to get a structural design out of it is asking for trouble. Even most inexperienced graduate structural engineers would struggle.

Agree with human909 but plenty of 1 tonne cranes out there in home amde sheds.

Building code will be fine. You've got an industrial shed without walls/roof. They're designed to building code. Look up crane supporting structure manuals.

How about ASCE 7-16 for seismic loading?

We dont want to make a house of cards here, that little guy in the image wont be too happy if this thing come crashing down on his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back