Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Standard for Maximum Lifespan

rumahhutan

Electrical
May 3, 2024
ID
Hi everyone.

I want to ask about are there any specific standards from IEEE, IEC, or CIGRE that define the maximum allowable lifespan or recommended operational lifetime for motors, switchgear, and UPS systems? If any, could someone give me a reference about that?

Thank you in advance[glasses]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Do you mean maximum or minimum?
2. What I understand the standard organizations are involved with the safety, on use of electricity and equipment i.e. motors, switchgear, and UPS systems etc., but not on the lifespan or recommended operational lifetime.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Consensus standards (IEEE, IEC, etc.) and national standards (NEC, CSA, BS, etc.) do not identify minimum OR maximum longevity requirements. If such a measurement/requirement exists, it is set by an end user for a specific application.

That being said - as an OEM for rotating machines, I have noticed that the "design life" criteria has crept steadily downward over the last half century. It used to be a nominal 40 years, barring accidents/incidents. Now, a more typical value is around 10 years. The main driver is cost: it simply is more expensive to design/manufacture for longer useful life.

I do not have a good grasp on other electrical equipment - but I suspect the same trend applies.

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

Agree with Gr8blu. No standards will specify life of electrical machines since it depends on how they are operated, are maintained etc.

I have been repairing machines from 1930s vintage to 2024 and I know where the OEMs are cutting corners to cut costs over the years. Previously the designer's job was to design for life of around 25 to 30 years for standard operation. Now, it is to cover just the warranty period.

Muthu

Back