Standard for Measurement of Straightness 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanisphoenix

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2007
ES
Hello,
any one knows and standard (ASTM-ASME -EN..ETC) where is writing how the straightness have to be measured in a pipe?. According to the standard it has to be 0.0015xlength (1.5mm per metre), I know how to measure it, but i want to know if there are a norm where the method is describe.

Thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See API 5L Clause 9.11.3.4 for one example. I'm unable to include Figures 1 and 2 mentioned below, but you get the idea.

9.11.3.4 The tolerances for straightness shall be as follows.

a) The total deviation from a straight line, over the entire pipe length, shall be ≤ 0,2 % of the pipe length,
as shown in Figure 1.

b) The local deviation from a straight line in the 1,0 m (3.0 ft) portion at each pipe end shall be
≤ 4,0 mm (0.156 in), as shown in Figure 2.

according to AWWA C 200-12 steel pipes paragr 4.11.3 : straightness - max deviation from a straight line, over the entire pipe length, sall be 0,2 % of the pipe length

Thank you guys,
But i'm talking about how to do the measurement..the conditions of the test. I mean, what kind of wire you have to use, only one measure or other one at 90º.. etc etc... i want to know if there are an standards thats says how to preform the tests.

For example, talking about tensile tests the ASTM A335 says the minimum values of the yield etc, but the ASTM A370 says how to do the test,apparatus, the speciments..the conditions for the test. That what i'm looking for, but for the straighness.

The standards talk about the maximum deviation per meter or per entire length, but i can not find any one that explain the method. I know how to do it, but i want to find a standard that explain it.
YOu know to say to my client i'm doing on that way not just because i know its the best way to do it, just because is according to THIS standard.

There are so many many standars for everything, and no one about this?

the attached one (in french) states how to do for pipes manufactured according to EN 1916 (concrete pipes for sewage) but it is not stated in the Standard. Standards say only the tolerance. This is the procedure used by the CERIB (french Authority that controls the Quality system of a company)

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4820e7d5-ac84-4d91-9ccf-c7e13a8f70e5&file=CERIB_fiche_175_vérification_dimensions.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back