Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard Industry Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

avio

Aerospace
Oct 4, 2002
BE
In certain overhaul manuals, the manufacturer refers to "SIP" or "Standard Industry Practices"for inspection, cleaning or repairs;they DO NOT mean the(ir) Standard Practices Manual!
What do you Americans mean by SIP? Do you simply mean something like "do it like you learnt it at school and use common sense", or is there a reference book (like the SAE manual)which lists SIP's?
Thanks for your reply,
avio

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Avio,
It has been my experience that what you learned in school or common sense have never been factored into cleaning, inspection or repairs of aircraft components. I for one have never read the reference SIP. My experience has been limited to PWA, GE, CFMI and Honeywell so we may not be working to the same set of rules. As a rule the Repair Manual dictates the specific steps taken. Generally it will refer you to the SPM and by that you have your procedures. When the Repair Manual differs from the SPM the Repair Manual is law. All manuals have specific processes, materials and sequences that must be adhered to. In the case of "or equivalent", you must be able to prove equivalency and it is a good practice to have that equivalency statement on file if you ever get called on it. If you think you can write a repair out of common sense without a DER approved by the FAA, then you are really going out on a limb. In closing, I will not offer an opinion on your question or it's intent, but I am compelled to offer this advice. READ YOUR FAR's. Part's 43 and 145 are the Repair Station's bible. Also be mindful of part 39. Change is constant in this industry, it pays to be aware of your surroundings.

Sincerely,
DJ Kallhof
Quality Engineer
NDT Level III

Avio:
Expanding on what DJ1958 said, I would recommend FAA Advisory Circulars AC65.9A and AC65.15A, the airframe & powerplant mechanics General and Airframe handbooks, respectively. There is also a powerplant circular (AC 65.12), if you need that too. These are the books, along with AC43.13, where most U.S. civilian mechanics are introduced to aircraft "standard industry practices". Even then, mechanics are always referred to the manufacturers data where ever possible.
I haven't been an A&P for 8 years now and I still look things up in these books, I think you will find them very useful.
Hope this helps.
Daniel South

Thank you both for your replies; I'm very familiar with the Ac's you refer to (65-9/-12/-15 and 43-13).It isn't either my intention to do anything without a DER's 8110 when outside the OEM manuals. I found the reference "folowing Standard Industry Practices" in a Boeing Manual; Tomorrow; I' look for the references and let you know.The reference was not referring to the SPM.
avio

Please note that you can only use approved data that can be shown as being effective for the specific part, assembly or component that you are working on. "Standard Industry Practices" certainly cannot be used to sign off on work, and is really a non-usable term. Even AC43.13 cannot be used as a substitute for existing approved data. I have seen instances where parties did not have, or did not make the proper effort to get the correct tech data, and used AC43.13 as a shortcut to "get by" A good Inspector will nip this in the bud quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back