Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayden

Mechanical
Jul 31, 2002
NZ
Hi all,

At the moment at the place I work we are looking at creating a set of drawing standard procedures. This is to include things like layers, linetypes, colours, common blocks such as section marks, dim styles..........

It will also contain information on how to perform certain tasks like never exploding dimensions, always using Mtext.......

We are a manufacturing company that makes products built up from small (about the size of your hand) castings and injection moulded plastic components. We use a AutoCAD 2000i for some parts/products and Mechanical desktop for others.

I'm sure many of you have been through a similar process in the past. I know in structural work there are standard methods and naming conventions used. Are there the same for machanical components?

What I am asking is:
Are there any sample standards, hints and tips or suggested ways to get everyone on board that anyione may be able to offer up?

Thanks in advance

Hayden

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AutoCAD Mechanical has certain standards for layers, colors, linetypes etc. You could use those. If you want, I can send you a list of its settings.

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right "
.. Henry Ford

We are presently using AutoCAD Mechanical 2000. It uses a strategy of layer grouping. Right out of the box, this layering method is pretty useless. I understand that you can customize the layering, but it is not for the novice.

We use many of AutoCAD Mechanical features but we use our own intuitive layering scheme. Keep your standards as basic as possible with user flexibility. I highly suggest, if you can, to use lineweights bylayer and do not use a pen table assignments for entity colors. This is just a suggestion that allows the users to use whatever color that they want without having to deal with specific colors for different lineweights.

Take care & have fun!

Kevin

"Hell, there are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something." - Thomas A. Edison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back