Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard Template for Center of Buoyancy Calculations? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoinSideways

Marine/Ocean
Jul 19, 2011
US
Hi guys, quick question.

I'm wondering if there are any standard formats/templates that engineers will typically use for spreadsheets (excel) when calculating center of buoyancy and center of mass for marine vessels? Specifically wondering about submersibles, but maybe ships/other vessels are similar? I'm about to start calculations for a submersible, and I figured it'd probably be best to use a standard format if there is one, so as to make it easier for other engineers I could potentially be interacting with to interpret what I'm doing.

Anyone know if there is a standard for this?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never calculated the C.G.'s of submersibles but I have done such calculations for lattice boom and hydraulic cranes on floating barges with single and double rakes to determine listing and tilting has these cranes were rotating while lifting loads. The information was then compiled to develop revised load charts. The method is the same subject that you learn in Statics and Dynamics. I have used BASICS back then (what a great program) however this program had to be altered several times because no two cranes and barges were alike

Calculating the center of buoyancy and other properties of floating or submerged bodies is handled by special computer programs which calculate the hydrostatic properties of vessels. Typically, the buoyant portions of a vessel are described numerically and this description is used to calculate the volume of displacement and location of the center of buoyancy of the vessel for a particular draft.

Determining the weight and location of the c.g. of a vessel is a different matter. Typically, when a vessel is first constructed or modified after entering service, a special procedure is undertaken by naval architects to ascertain the weight and c.g. of the vessel in order to perform operating stability calculations. These calculations are typically required in order to develop an operating manual for the vessel and to satisfy various regulatory requirements of governmental or classification bodies. This special procedure is called an inclining or stability test, and it determines the light weight of the vessel (the weight of the vessel without any cargo, crew, supplies, etc. aboard) and the location of the c.g.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back