Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standards covering housing design / gearing alignment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

geesamand

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2006
US
I'm fairly aware of the AGMA standards for gear rating and gear quality. However, a gear is only as good as it's mounting.

I'm looking for quantitative guidance on the in-plane and out-of-plane alignment quality. Is there anything in the standards or literature that describes alignment quality for a given gear quality?

Thanks,

David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

geesamand,

AGMA 915-3-A99 gives some guidance on center distance and shaft parallelism. AGMA 6001-D97 gives guidance on shaft bending effects. While tolerance control of the parts is important, what really matters is the shape/location of the parts under load.

If you have wide face dimensions, you may also have to look at crown and lead correction to optimize load distribution across the face. But I don't know of any reference that would give recommendations for those. It would probably require a good FEA to get right without lots of trial and error.

Hope that helps.
Terry

Terry,

A good reference for lead modifications can be found in AGMA 927:A01. It has some good examples and demonstration spreadsheets and computer flow diagram.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back