Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standards for Hatching Section Views?

Status
Not open for further replies.

handleman

Automotive
Jan 7, 2005
US
First off, I apologize for this thread being more standards-related than SW (although I know these drawings were created in SW), but I know there are quite a few of you that are very knowlegeable in the subject. If you know a more appropriate forum let me know and I'll take this question there. Thanks!

Our (Japan-based) company has some weird drawing standards. One of those is that we very rarely use hatching in section views. However, we have a US machine builder designing a machine for us. One of the things we're paying for is a full drawing package. While we're not asking for the drawings to meet our in-house standards, we need them to at least be legible. I have some concerns with the hatching of section views that I'd like to get some confirmation on. I have a gut feel for how hatching should be done for legibility, but I'd like to have more than that when I ask them to change their drawings. Here's an example of their hatching:

hatchsamplesh8.jpg

Here's what I don't like:
1. Hatch lineweight is same as object lines.
2. Hatch lines for each part are at the same angle.
3. Hatch lines actually line up across parts.
4. Some parts are hatched, but hatch scale is such that only one or two hatch lines actually show up on the part.

If the hatching shown is acceptable per some standard then I'll probably just let it slide. Otherwise I'll ask the guy to change it.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Personally, I would ask/tell them to change it whether it conforms to a standard or not. The hatching makes the drawing hard to read which defeats the whole purpose of hatching.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

handleman,

From my experience, I would say that it is "technically" correct to hatch this way. But for clarity purposes, hatching for adjacent parts should be at different angles so that they do not line up and it is hard to distinguish where one part starts and another part ends.

As for the hatching thickness, if this is in SolidWorks, go to the tools>options selection. Go under "document properties" tab, select "line font", change the "hatch/area fill" to a lighter lineweight or change the "visible edges to a slightly heavier line font.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps.
-Michael

For an assembly when I was in college you are suppose to hatch in different directions per part in the assembly. The hatch lines are suppose to be the material of the part. If its all steel then a double hatch line with a .25 or so space between each double line is sufficent, but for every part the lines should be skewed enough that you can tell the difference of each part.

TO me that looks like a single part and you know its not because each object linecuts through the hatch lines. ALso the hatch lines should be thinner the the object lines, this helps to tell which part is which.

So I would ask them to:
1) Skew the hatch lines in different directions
2) Make the hathc lines thinner
3) Use the correct hatch line per material. (Sw provides that in the properties of the hatch line)

Best Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

To add to the above, visible lines should be thick (.6 mm), and section lines/cross hatch lines should be thin (.3 mm). Also, it looks like they hatched a socket head cap screw which is a no-no.

Flores
SW06 SP4.1

Thanks, all! I really value your input! I guess you could say I've had a pretty sheltered career so far, 4 years out of school at the same company. My division designs and builds machines for internal company use (mostly assembly machines for automotive parts), so all I've got experience with is our own company standard.

Here is the ASME spec. I can't seem to find the ISO spec that covers this topic. Here is a section that deals with your picture.

Multi and Secional View Drawings ASME/ANSI Y14.3

Section 3-4.3.1 - Where the cutting plane lies along the longitudinal axis of items such as shafts, bolts, nuts, rods, rivets, keys, pins, screws, ball or roller bearings, gear teeth, spokes and the like, these parts are not sectioned except where internal construction must be shown.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

The hatches are supposed to be the thinest lines, and contrasting to each other and the part/assy. I think it is DOD-STD-100. In an assy, each part is hatched at a different angle to the adjacent part.
Hatching is for the purpose of showing a sectioned part to display features, and to tell parts apart from each other in an assy.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

Hatch lines are typically the same thickness as center lines.

When you have many steel parts in an assembly like that, rotate the hatch for alternate layers 90°.

THen as the parts become smaller, also change the scale of the hatch for better clarity.

It is also perfectly aceptable to change the base angle slightly if it helps the clarify the section.

Remember...
[navy]"If you don't use your head,[/navy] [idea]
[navy]your going to have to use your feet."[/navy]

From Earle, James, Engineering Design Graphics, 11th edition here are some appropriate statements:

Chapter 16.4 Sectioning Assemblies and Parts

When sectioning an assembly of several parts, draw section lines at varying angles to distinguish the parts from each other...Crosshatch the same part at the same angle and with the same symbol even though portions of the part may be separated.

Chapter 16.5 Full Sections

subsection Parts Not Requiring Section Lining

...nuts and bolts, rivets, shafts, and set screws...Ribs (unless the cutting plane passes through them perpendicularly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back