Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standards Pipe Lenght

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeEn

Mechanical
Mar 18, 2001
KR
Hi,
Is there any standards that talk about the recommended pipe lenght?

We sometime order piping segments to replinish stock, but the piping supplier very frequently replies that the size we ordered is not available, and therefore they offere a different lenght.

Regards,
MeEn

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here in South Africa 6 metre (20 foot) seems to be the most commonly stocked length. I assumed it was a worldwide custom. I have also seen double length (12 m) sections used on long pipelines to minimise welding.

Katmar Software
Engineering & Risk Analysis Software

The traditional 'random length' of piping is approximately 20ft. To minimise field welding pipe it is also supplied in 'double random lengths' around 40ft.

If you are talking e.g. steel line pipe for oil and gas, it is true some manufacturers offer some flexibility in supplied lengths, particularly for very lengthy projects. I think available shipping/handling/construction means, as well as desired stringing/laying/trenching etc. stipulations from contractors etc. could influence the lengths of pipes that are desired/ordered (e.g. see and etc.)
As noted in that site, lengths of 100 feet (~30 meters) or more have even been furnished at times in the past. For other applications e.g. water or wastewater, I agree pipe lengths in the 18-40 feet (5.5-12 meter)range or shorter are probably more common, for many reasons and different material types, relating to common constructions.
More information about your application/location and/or of course talking to your suppliers might help to confirm this better.

Steel pipe for pipeline projects comes in SLR (single random length), used for station and some tie-in work and is 20-22', DLR (double random length) is 40-44' and used for line pipe strings.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not moving fast enough."
- Mario Andretti- When asked about transient hydraulics

The standard of the pipe you are specifying (e.g. ASTM A53, A106, etc) has paragraphs about pipe lengths.
For example, section 17 of ASTM A106 stated:
17.1.1 The lengths required shall be specified in the order,
and
17.1.2 No jointers are permitted unless otherwise specified.
17.1.3 If definite lengths are not required, pipe may be
ordered in single random lengths of 16 to 22 ft [4.8 to 6.7 m] with 5 % 12 to 16 ft [3.7 to 4.8 m], or in double random lengths with a minimum average of 35 ft [10.7 m] and a minimum length of 22 ft [6.7 m] with 5 % 16 to 22 ft [4.8 to 6.7 m].

I've used triple random lengths (approx 60') on a couple different jobs. Pretty convenient to minimize the amount of welding, but more difficult to handle when unloading and trucking.

I would say that double randoms are the most common for oil and gas pipeline work.

PatrickR

Correct - dbl randoms (12 meter/40')are most common in oil & gas work. For pipelines we'll double joint those (24 meter/80') when site conditions allow.

And actually triple randoms (18 meter/60') are the most effecient for pipeline installation from a pure installation standpoint - they do however cause some logistical issues that often push us to dbl randoms.

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA
Consultant - Upstream Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back