Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Standards Subscription for small businesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tip DS

Electrical
Aug 3, 2023
US
I found a thread here from nearly a decade ago. thread784-376748
I was going to revive it, but it's apparently been closed. I'm hoping someone has an update to this topic. I'm in the same boat as the OP was at the time. I have a large list of standards I will need to take a look at, but which will most likely not be used after an initial perusal. I anticipate keeping and regularly using a few handfuls of standards, scattered across bodies, like UL, NFPA, IEC, CSA, etc.

I'm currently following leads on IHS, BSI and Techstreet. Does anyone have any additional prospects, or a favorite they are currently using? BTW, I originally looked into NormMaster, but that turns out to be for mega-companies with thousands of users - They quoted $50-$60k (they didn't specify if that was monthly or annually, but it doesn't really matter.)

Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want out of date ones (sometimes by several iterations)
I'm fortunate enough to be able to use IHS via a large design organisation, but wouldn't like to think how much it would cost a small business.

Their downloads now only last two weeks for some organisations.

At least NFPA you can view online once you register for free.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

When I have worked for small firms that did not have ready access to lots of standards, I would go find them at the local university's library, which is only a couple of miles from each of the offices that I worked at. The library's reference section has all of the standards I needed to see (ASTM, AWWA, NFPA, etc.) and more. It's possible that the main branch of the local county library had them as well, or could get them through library-library exchange, but I never checked. Usually, I just needed to check something simple, but if I needed my own copy for easier future reference, I would photocopy or (now with my phone) photograph the entire standard. To make my visits more cost-effective, I would go with a list of standards to look at, usually for several concurrent projects.

Some standards can be found online. These are usually old versions, but they are still useful. I have several dozen in my electronic archive. In addition, some manufacturers will provide copies of any current standards that they follow for their products.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back