Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standbypower supply with Solar Cell ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

shersan

Electrical
Jun 17, 2002
AE

Dear All ,

Please help me to choose a suitably rated Solar Cell ( advisable to indicate the manufactures name also ) as a standby powersupply for the Antennas ( ROR ) mounted on the high mast poles in our container yard storage area .

These antenas are located on defferent location on the high mast poles ( 50mtr hight ) and presently the power is drawn from the highmast pole supply . We arelooking for a permanent solution in case of power failure from the utility. We prefer solar cell because of it is individually taken care of the load rather than like fed from common supply to group of high mast through generator /UPS .

Antena power supply details as follows .

Adaptor I/P =100-240 VAC ,50Hz

Accesspoint out put = 5 V DC ,3 A
or 48V DC 200mA ( POE - power on ethernet )

Please note that all proposed unit should be suitable to mount on top of the highmast sort of weather proof .

Waiting for the replies !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Shersan,

i need to know the detail informations. For examples how long the load will work for per day. How much power the load? Which output voltage do you want 12V or 24V? Maybe you also need DC-DC converter.

More detail more helpful.

Regards,
Feng

Shersan,
Let's say your power is 5*3+48*0.2=24.6W. For 12V system you should calculate like this 24.6/12=2.1A. So for 2 hours you need 4.2Ah energy from the moudle or battery. Let's guess for your location you can charge the battery for 4 hours. So 4.2Ah/4=1A. Then you get the power for the solar panel 17.5*1=20Wp. For safty reason you should choose maybe about 30Wp to charge your battery full to prevent during the cloudy time. For battery I suggest you choose 100Ah is enough for your system. The solar charger you can choose 5A charge regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back