Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Standpipe Design Pre 1950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Cole

Mechanical
Mar 16, 2017
US
Hi guys! Does anyone know what the practice was pre 1950 for standpipe design? We ran into a situation here in the city of chicago with a high-rise where we were asked to perform a standpipe flow test. The building was built in 1929, contains 2 Class III standpipe systems with 2 standpipe risers per zone. Low Zone and High Zone respectively. No Fire Sprinklers in this building. The pump are 750 gpm pumps so we have the correct flow. My question is the residual pressure design for that era? I found this on the ole interwebs.

"The test is conducted pursuant to the standard in effect at the time of the property’s construction. (From the 1950s, 50 PSI was the design standard; from the early 1970s to 1993 were generally built to a 65 PSI standard at the the most remote connection, and 1993 and newer to 100 PSI.)"

What was the standard pre 1950? and in particular 1929?

Our flow results:
Low Zone – 33psi residual @ 500gpm TOR. Additional 250 GPM at ground floor on the other riser. Total 750gpm
High Zone – 30psi residual @ 500gpm TOR. Additional 250 GPM at ground floor on the other riser. Total 750gpm

These numbers make me cringe... And in my searches of standpipe design I found the results of the investigation of One Meridian Plaza where they found pressure reducing valves incorrectly set to 45psi. Obviously my client and I are both concerned.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the early years of Standpipe design?

Meanwhile, we're going to do a drawing and calculation and see what the system should be performing at, and compare it to our data. From there we can determine what needs to be done to bring them up to current Chicago Municipal Code requirement of 65psi residual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Michael Cole
Vice President
Cole Fire Protection, Inc.

Chicago IL

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you asked the city if there was a building code adopted back than??

I guess you know Chicago had its own codes

Already have a phonecall into Fire Prevention Bureau. I was just curious if anyone had some insight of National Standard.

Michael Cole
Vice President

Chicago IL

Ask NFPA ??

Origin and Development

This standard dates from 1912, when an initial report was made by the Committee on Standpipe and Hose Systems. The report was amended in 1914 and adopted by the Association in 1915. Revisions were adopted in 1917. Additional revisions were submitted by the Committee on Field Practice and adopted in 1926, 1927, 1931, 1938 (included action by the NFPA Board of Directors), 1941, and 1945. The Committee on Standpipes recommended revisions adopted in 1949, 1952, 1963, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1978, 1980, 1982, 1985, and 1990.

From the National Board of Fire Underwriters (NBFU) Standard #14(1928):

Rule #52 - Minimum Supplies for Large Hose

(a) Minimum supplies for standpipes for use by Fire Department or Specially Trained Men (2-1/2 inch hose and 1 1/8 inch nozzle) shall be calculated upon the basis of not less than 250 gallons per minute for each standpipe riser. Capacity of supplies should be such that for a period of one hour there will be available a pressure of at least 50 pounds at topmost 2 1/2 inch outlet (not including roof outlet) while water is being discharged through 2 1/2" cotton rubber line hose and a 1 1/8 inch nozzle from the topmost outlet.

Rule #53 - Minimum Supplies for Small Hose

'Minimum supplies for standpipes for use by occupants of buildings as first aid fire protection shall be calculated on the basis of 100 gallons per minute flowing with 25 pounds pressure at the highest hose outlet.'

Looks like, based on the 1928 edition at least, you flowed too much water during your test, which is possibly why you're getting the low pressure reading.

@skdesigner - Thank you! Great information! Where were you able to access the old standard? This would be useful going forward for testing!

Michael Cole
Vice President

Chicago IL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back