Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Standpipes in Stairs with Multiple Transitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmlxd40

Mechanical
Oct 7, 2011
US
I have a highrise where the interior stairwells jump all over the building rather than being a straight vertical stair. We are seeing this a lot lately. Like it is some kinda design trend or something lol. Most of the time, this isn’t a big deal and we are able to make any necessary transitions or routing changes to the standpipe within the stairway.

This particular stairway moves a considerable horizontal distance from one floor level to the next, and the stair connecting the two levels is narrow and really doesn’t offer enough room to route the piping to connect the two areas.

Anyway, my question is this:
IS there any reason why I cannot enter the stair twice with my standpipe supplied from two separate locations on the standpipe distribution main?? I guess that technically this would result in two separate standpipes within the same stair and each would need their own isolation valve, but that’s not a big deal. It would prevent us trying to fit the pipe up the narrow stairway.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Architects love to throw in all kinds of vertical conveyances and call them stairs.

I have seen architects use multiple landings to achieve correct vertical height for floor levels of differing heights. I have also seen architects shift the stairwell horizontally a bit and use a "reverse travel path" so the shafts are adjoining on the long wall. But I have never seen an architect use a narrow stair and call it egress.

It was always my understanding the standpipes go in egress stairs because those are the ones which have the required fire rating. If a stairwell is "narrow" - can it be an egress stair with the appropriate rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back