Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

STARING A STRUCTURAL FIRM 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

StruKturdg

Structural
Jan 8, 2008
US
How in the heck do structural engineers get their foort in the door to prove that you can do the work?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Got the P.E., and doing the cold calls. I guess that is the way to go until something comes around. And by the way before anyone says something I meant to put foot.

Go to the architects' office with a resume and meet the owner/lead architect. Find out the types of projects they are engages in, their experience with their current consultants. Offer them your availability to handle their smaller projects.

A bit more passive way is to write the owner/lead architect a letter with your resume enclosed. Introduce yourself, background, your availability and request a date for a short meeting.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is "cold calling"?

It seems to me that to start your own business you need to have at least a bit of salesman in you.

StructuralEIT:

"Cold Calling" is just going thru the local phone book, or any other source, and calling up the firm or person, whom you have never met or spoken with previously, and speaking to them regarcing youself and the services you can provide.

Corrrespondingly, a "warm call" is someone you have previously met or spoken to, someone with whom you have already established a relationship, be what it may.

I started this way too, to increase the potential of getting my name out there - I had a success rate at the time of 1 job per 5 calls, which is quite good from what I hear. Even though a poteential client may not be interested at the time, he may run into someone whom you have not contacted and pass your name on. You may get a call out of the blue from someone you have never contacted, It's called developing a network.

However, you will have a problem in today's economy getting started as the jobs are few in many areas now, and the competition for the jobs that there are is great. I started out in 1986, after the Reagan cutback and during the recovery. Much better prospect for success.

Good hunting.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Since you have a PE, it means you have been around for a while so call some of those clients you used to work for. Hopefuly, you developed some professional relationships. They may not need you but they may know someone do does.

Also join some local organizations to network. I have gotten some work just by joining and attending functions of my local chamber of commerce.

And stay active in your professional organizations. Sometimes, a firm will turn someone away but given the client a few names to call.

Don Phillips

It seems to me that if you have to start with cold calls to dig up work, then you aren't ready to start your business. Ideally, you would have many good contacts from your previous work. Start there. Make cold calls only after you have contacted everyone you already know. Be active in engineering and other professional associations.

I am going through the same thing myself. I previously worked in a different state so I cannot call on clients from my previous job. I would be hesitant to do so anyway. Especially if you still have a relationship with your previous employer. Anyway, I have called about 30 architects and have got three jobs. Two of them were jobs that were so small they probably could not find anyone else to do them. The third was a good job and I think it is going to lead to a good relationship with that architect. I got lucky and called them on a day that I think they were mad at there old engineer. I just keep telling myself to keep trying and hope I can find a way to keep paying the bills. That next call may lead to steady work that will be a major part of your income for years to come. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back