Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting a hydraulic engineering consulting firm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handas

Civil/Environmental
Mar 6, 2017
DZ
Hi everybody,

I'm going to start a hydraulic consulting engineering firm in a month by myself. I would like to start design for architecture consulting firm and when I will grow sufficiently carry hydraulic works (water distribution, sewage network...).

I learned a lot about the subject but one of my unsovable problems is this one:
Since I obtained my degree ( 2 years ago) I only worked in operation and maintenance. Even if I learned design through books and courses I don't have any experience in this field.
How can I convince potential clients that I can do the job ?
Should I decrease my fees to get clients ?

My personnal situation don't allow me to work as an employee. If I could I would work for a consulting firm to get some experience.

Thank you in advance for your advices !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless you have enough cash to live for maybe three or 4 years without substantial income, forget it. You might also post in the room "Engineer Business Practices" for other more meaningful comments. Usually, starting in without substantial experience and likely clients, it is a very tough.

You are apparently not in the US, Canada, Great Britain or Australia. In each of those areas you would need more experience and specific licensing in order to offer your services.

In my opinion, you should not be starting an engineering firm without appropriate experience and knowledge of the principles and practices of the engineering discipline in which you want to practice.

To answer your question about how to convince someone you can do the job....considering your subject knowledge and experience deficiencies, I see no way to do so honestly and ethically.

Your potential clients will (generally) not care what you learned in school, but will care about your practical design experience. If you have none, I highly doubt you will find many clients that will allow you to learn-on-the-job, particularly on their own project.

Not to get nosey, but it appears you are grasping at straws to resolve some problem. It might be that us old timers could help with advice other than rejecting your plan if we knew a little about the problem.. What is proposed really will not work, in my opinion.

Is there a Professional Engineering licensure process in Algeria?

The aforementioned countries, you would be violating the law by practicing engineering without a license. And, you don't even have enough experience to get a license in some jurisdictions; typically, in the US, you would need to have worked under the supervision of a licensed engineer for a sufficient time before you could even sit for the PE license exam.

I don't understand your comments about being an employee; how is working for a consulting firm not being an employee?

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

First of all thank you guys for all your contributions.

I will first precise my situation and then explain my plan for the next months.
After my graduate degree in Hydraulic Engineering obtained (5 years after High School in Algeria and the PE process doesn't exist), I worked for one year as an Operation Engineer in a Waste Water Treatment Plant and then one year as an Design Enginner for a firm making containerized WWTP for camps in the Sahara.

I had to quit my job to replace my father in the familial entreprise (A little Holyday village). That is why I cannot follow the 8-5 work schedule and then be employed in a consulting firm.
8 month have passed sinced I quit the field of engineering and I'm searching away to come back to it without letting my familial responsabilities.

All of you think it will be difficult to convince clients and do a good job without a practical experience.

What type of work do you think is appropriate with my experience ?

As before thank you for your ideas.

Handas, you said: Should I decrease my fees to get clients ?

Please don't do that. Now, the market is quite aggressive these days. We are all professionals and doing that you will hurt the market wherever you are located. Ron gave good advise, get experience, create your business and keep the professionalism in your area. You (and us) will make money that way...

and courses I don't have any experience in this field.
How can I convince potential clients that I can do the job ?
Should I decrease my fees to get clients ?

There are far easier and less painful ways to go broke.

Reaction to change doesn't stop it :)

You may have to do the best that you can to keep the family situation going, or even improve it and leave the engineering to another day. There are others that have been in your situation and entered the engineering field as late as in their 50's. It might be wise to get more college credits before that however. However, aren't there technical type jobs in the area, such as teaching mathematics in grade schools? You may have to consider a change in career.

Sounds like a tough position to be in. Can you offer yourself as either a part-time engineer or contracted engineer for a potential consulting firms?

After all your advices,I think I will try to work as a part-time or contracted engineer. If I can't I will leave the engineering to another day.

Thank you for all your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back