Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

starting new career, being out of industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeeb

Materials
Feb 21, 2010
US
Hello all,

I've been traveling the for some kind of answer to the following question:

Is it at all possible for someone who graduated in 2002(!) with a materials/metallurgical engineering degree (BS) to not do anything for 8 years (joined military to fly planes) and then go back to school (for at least an MS) and find an (yes, I know) entry level eng job in industry around age 35 or so?

Do you know of anyone in a similar situation? Am I just dreaming? Right now I'm interested in biomaterials, renewable energy and aviation related jobs and further education related to those.

I appreciate any responses, even if it's only to burst my bubble.

;) Xeeb

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What's age got to do with it? There was a time when companies "invested" so-called training into a new employee, expecting to get 40-yrs of service. No company expects to do that these days, and if they do, they're deluded.

The only concerns should be:
>> how good your grades are going to be
>> how relevant your education is to the job applied for
>> whether you have related internships, research, or part-time work while getting your degree
>> how you can sell your military experience as a positive, i.e., maturity, teamwork, leadership, exemplary service record, etc.
>> how well you interview
>> how well you write and communicate

One thing of note, as a higher degree graduate, you should expect to be doing lots of written and oral communications. Your posting appears to be in the right direction, so that's a good start.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Do I know anyone in a similar situation? Just about anyone who went to West Point, Anapolis or the Air Force acadamy who got an angineering degree. My brother was one who went to West Point. After getting out of the army he used a recruiter who specilized in finding positions for military officers who have not used their degree since graduating. If after this you got an MS then I would say you should have no problems. Good luck,

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Use the skills you have acquired to your advantage. Some Defense companies especially like folks with military background. Also, if you wanted to work for govt then you'd have an advantage.

If you have a security clearance look at this as a bonus for anything in a defense field.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

A common opportunity for vets is the government contractors for weapon systems, planes, battlefield vehicles, etc. When I worked in Aero, many guys joined from the services after their tour was over. I did the same thing.

You are looking for an entry position then going out right now looking should not be a problem. Its not as if you were spending the last 8 years living on a trust fund. I would think most companies would look at that time as solid personal development. You have shown with your degree that you can learn. That's a large part of the degree. How many engineers out there actually use the stuff they learned in school? Not many. The degree told the employer that they could handle whatever was thrown at them.

Russell White, P.E.
Automation Technologies, Inc.

Automation Help

A coworker of mine (very well regarded at the company) was a marine until his late twenties. Then went to school for his masters and easily got a job in R&D after graduating.

I don't think your military service will be seen as abandoning engineering, and I don't think 35 will be seen as too old either.

Your military service is looked as a positive in defense (Lockheed, Bowing). I say try with your BS and see what comes up.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

I'm in the same boat, if not worse/better (depending on how you look at it. Started engineering with about 4+ years experience, then on to fly planes in the military. With military retirement nearby, I went back to get my Masters in Engineering, P.E. license (no statute of limitations) and with any luck, my 40-something self may be able to find something in the aerospace industry. Not sure where I'll land, since I'm not entirely a noob to engineering, but most of my experience is operational related. Probably looking at a mid-level management job. Failing that, I'll just go teach high school and synchronize my schedule with my kids.

If you have veteran status that will be a help with applying to DOD or service civilian jobs. With the expansion of DoD staff I would recomend taking a look.

You probably wont be designing stuff, if that's what you want to do, but it would be a way to take advantage of your previous experience.

Even without vet status I'd still take a look.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back