Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting SMPS business

Status
Not open for further replies.

stimperz

Electrical
Apr 19, 2008
GB
Hello,

I would like to start designing, building, testing and manufacturing switch mode power supplies.

I am thinking of power ranges of around 2 to 2000 Watts.

I would be very grateful if any reader could tell how I can find a customer?

I wish to bid for SMPS work but don't know where companies go to find potential SMPS designers/builders.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might have more luck on the Electrical forum, but, for starters, you might ask yourself, what are these things used for, and who would use them? That should tell you who to market to. You need to identify your market first and try to satisfy a basic need with your product.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Have you designed a number of such units before? Do you have the ability to test them? Do you have a company lined up to manufacture them?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I have designed some SMPS's (up to 60W Flyback). I have tested a large number of SMPS's (5W to 10KW).

I believe once working prototypes have been produced, the Manufacture will not be without its challenges but will not be as much of an obstacle as the design stage.

I will also take advantage of my microcontroller experience to produce SMPS designs using less analog components for the auxiliary/monitoring/control/protection circuitry.

Hi,

How are you going to handle all those "gotcha's" known to fester in SMPS circuits...such as voltage spikes, etc etc.

And regarding the lower wattage supplies, why should i buy your SMPS when there are shedloads of of the shelf SMPS's already available quite cheap?

At higher powers, to be competitive, you'll have to use "resonant" technology.....How's your RF skills -they could be useful here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back