Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

static equivalent VS time history analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabildhiyaulhaq

Civil/Environmental
Apr 23, 2017
MD
i designed 8 story rigid frame building using static equivalent seismic load as lateral load
when i did linear time history analysis as lateral load (SE not used anymore), some of its members are overstress.
somebody told me that SE is always larger than THA and it's impossible that my members are overstress

is there possibility that THA is larger than SE in member internal forces?
i'm pretty sure that my step is based on ASCE 7-10

thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would not say that static equivalent is ALWAYS more conservative, as there are exceptions to every rule, but I would be very skeptical of any results that indicated it was less conservative than time history analysis. Usually when engineers employ something other than a static equivalent analysis, the perceived benefit is that you will end up with a more lean, economical structure while still complying with the code. The extra time spent developing the model in the software and may or may not be worth it, its a judgment call.

Does your building exhibit any structural irregularities? If so, then I wouldn't be surprised to hear that time history analysis revealed some local overstress.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back