Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static / Shut-in pressure determination

Status
Not open for further replies.

moemantha

Chemical
Apr 17, 2002
CA
I am trying to determine the static (shut-in) pressure, of either the wellhead or bottom hole, depending on which is given. Can anyone suggest a method to use for this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm doing the same thing on a bunch of gas wells. My approach is to pick a time that the processing plant was down (they broke a turbine and about 500 wells were shut in for 45 days). Then I'm going to look at the hourly SCADA data to determine a curve for each well that describes the asmypote (i.e. the surface representation of reservoir pressure). Finally I'm going to try to determine how long it takes for wells to build up to 90% of the reservoir pressure. Then I can do a shut-in for that length of time, gross it up, and have an approximation of reservoir pressure.

Should work, nice to get something from that painful shut-in.

Without doing the build-up work I've never heard of an accurate way to determine reservoir pressure. Flowing pressures cannot be used to imply a shut-in pressure in any field I've ever heard of.

David

I have a quick spreadsheet that calculates static BHP from SITP using the Cullender & Smith method.

Email me @ ryanguillory@hotmail.com

if you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back