Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Std BOM file format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbrege

Computer
Dec 1, 2010
US
I am currently working on a program to import bill of material data into our system. I am wondering if there is any standardized file format for BoM data that I should be accomodating. I couldn't find anything in a google search. Has anyone done anything like this before? I would like to be able to tell our customers to use "ANSI xxx.xxx" file format (or something along that line) for the data they send us. I'm just not sure sure if anything currently exists. Thanks for any help...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Before you port over your data, I'd have your group make sure the data they want is correct. Mostly I'm talking about description nomenclatures, units of issue, and special characters in part numbers. I'm just speaking from prior experience with several moves to new databases at various companies. Usually hardware and fastener descriptions are the worst, but by no means the sole culprits.

I don't think I've ever seen a standard for BOM data, simply because the type of information you need varies, depending on which (if any) ERP/MRP system you have, depth of CAD data, etc.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back