Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steam condenser turbine exit velocity

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurks

Mechanical
Sep 18, 2007
US
I am trying to find the exit velocity of the steam coming out of a steam condenser turbine. The inlet pressure is 1312.46 psia with a temperature of 867.67 F. The exit pressure is 7.84 psia with a temperature of 182.97 F. The mass flow rate through the turbine is 220,000 lbm/hr. Am I right in assuming that I can use the saturated steam tables to find the specific volume at the exit and then divide the mass flow rate by this to get volumetric flow? This would then give me the volumetric flow rate at the point where the pressure and temperature were taken.

Thanks in advance,

lurks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your initial assumption ignores extraction flows. Are there no extractions for any functions in your entire turbine portion of your cycle?

I'm admittedly not bothering to check against steam tables, but almost always, steam quality is a significant factor at the exit from the last row of blades.

Valuable advice from a professor many years ago: First, design for graceful failure. Everything we build will eventually fail, so we must strive to avoid injuries or secondary damage when that failure occurs. Only then can practicality and economics be properly considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back