Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Steam Engineer License

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight185

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2008
US
I am a mechanical engineer for a fossil power plant. Many of the senior engineers and some managers with 25+ years of experience have their PE license and/or steam engineer license. The work that I do as a plant engineer does not really qualify as PE work. But what about the steam engineer license? As an engineer on the technical staff, I do not supervise operators and I am not I allowed to operate any equipment. In my case, am I still eligible to get a license or not? All of the information I see online seems to refer to operators or supervisors of operators. My job responsibility includes troubleshooting equipment, directing contractors, and managing projects, such as boiler or turbine outages.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The work that I do as a plant engineer does not really qualify as PE work
Why????

I would go for your PE license. The Steam Engineer license is only a local license regulated by the Jurisdiction, and is for operation of the boiler only.

Most of my work is troubleshooting equipment problems and managing projects but I am not using any kind of detailed engineering analysis and design to do it. Maybe my perception of what PE qualifying work is wrong but the active PE's that I know are involved in design and analysis, using engineering concepts and calculations. I don't get involved in that kind of detailed analysis and my company doesn't push plant engineers to do that kind of work.

Agree with metengr...this is similar to one who drives a train being called an "engineer". It has little to do with the principles and practices of engineering, and everything to do with operation of a device or devices. A "PE" license is a professional designation that transcends locales and jobs. A "Steam Engineer" is a trade designation.

Obtaining a PE license is not all about design and analysis. Yes, that can be a large part of it, but there are lots of components of it that require the practical application of the principles of engineering, without a direct design or analysis need. Yes, you'll have to prove your capability at analysis or design in the testing, but that can be achieved without great difficulty.

It's a bit like the old story about the mechanical engineer who was called in to fix a boiler that no one else could fix. He took a small hammer out and tapped in a certain spot. The boiler then worked fine. His itemized invoice for services was $100...$1 for tapping, $99 for knowing where to tap. I've heard this story in different forms over the years. It's probably not true, but it does illustrate the point.

Engineering is a diverse and fascinating profession. Show that you are one. Get your PE.

Note, however, that when you do get your PE license, apply it (and your experience in operations, maintenance, and planning) intelligently.

Since you are practiced in ops and shutdown supervision, don't assume that you have suddenly become equally experienced in "pure" analysis or design calc's or pressure spec analysis just by having a PE registration. Combine the designers' years of experience in their specialties with your experience in field work, but don't try to replace their special knowledge with your own.

Add your more widespread knowledge to their detailed knowledge when you approach a problem. Use your widespread experience (as an plant operator you should also know piping, mechanical, electrical, project planning and budgeting - perhaps also welding, assembly, operations, testing, NDE, craft labor supervision, crane and safety and rigging, etc) to complement their more detailed intimate mechanical or pipe stress or welding knowledge.

I've been with my company for almost 4 years now and no one has pushed the young engineers to get their PE licenses. I think it was more of a requirement for the old generation of engineers because they were heavily involved in design. These days there isn't much of a push for obtaining a PE license or advanced degree. Several of the highest ranking engineers in the company do not have PE licenses.

knight185..so what! You don't need a PE to manage stuff. You need a PE to make competent decisions for technical things...including the management of technical things. Managers progress upwardly without regard to their technical ability; however they would be up the creek without a paddle were it not for the technical people who routinely save their collective a$$es.

Right - Which is why he should get his PE references from the supervising now PE's at the company.

The exam is straightforward, not especially easy but certainly not a nightmare. From teh statements, he has enough time working under PE's to get the signatures and references now - but not in a few years when those retire out and transfer elsewhere.

Sure, you don't need a PE to manage people, nor to run an outage or plan repairs and modifications. But it helps.

I've been with the company for almost 4 years and I've only had a supervisor with a PE for maybe a month. All of my past supervisors and managers did not have a license.

Get the PE when you can. It doesn't make you a better engineer, but it does open some some interesting doors. It's just easier to do it sonner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back