Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

steam generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

nektarios128

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2006
GR
I have to use steam to pasteurize meat (red as beef or white as chicken).
I know the mass of the meat.
How can i calculate the flow of the steam (kg/sec) ?
What kind of steam generator do i have to use ?

Is there any book out there about practical problems in food industry ?

Thank you,
Nektarios

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

nektarios128:

It seems to me that you must provide us with more data. Most importantly, at what temperature do you plan to pasteurize the meats? And for what period of time?

Are you talking about canned meats? If so, they must first be pressure canned and then subjected to temperatures in the range of 240-250°F (116-121°C).

If you are not talking of canned meats, then the meats probably require being subjected to about the same temperatures of 240-250°F (116-121°C) ... and that will probably partially cook them.

You should do a Google search to look for more information and reference books.

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

Thanks for answering.
The problem is that i don't know enough. :)
I am searching in a dark room!
If anyone can provide more data please do.

This is similar to regenerating mole sieves in my industry. You need to find the heat capacity of meat. The units will be BTU/(lb-deg F). Lets say its 1.0 (thats water's). The meat goes in at 70 F and you heat it to 200 F, so thats 130 deg F delta. so Q = Cp * delta T * mass or Q = 1.0 * 130 * 10 pounds mass = 1300 BTU's If you want to heat the meat in 1 hour, then you need 1300 BTU's hour IF YOU ASSUME PERFECT HEAT TRANSFER ect. We use a 40% factor, so it takes 3250 BTU/hr. You'll need to do the same for all the steel that the meats in. Its Cp .12 BTU/lb-F. The 40% factor we use is experienced based and is limited to specific time ranges. We like to take 3 to 8 hours to heat up vats of mole sieves, If you heat to quickly, the center may not be "done" to slowly and a lot of heat escapes to the air.

Out of curiosity, do you mix the meat up as you are heating it? That would allow quicker times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back