Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

steam quality meter - success ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtangent

Chemical
Aug 4, 2003
US
Dear sirs,

We are upgrading our steam seperators/demisters to prevent wet steam. A contact company has suggested installing steam quality meters...to measure wet fraction (i think)

Has anyone had any success with these meters and their prespective on how effective they are?

(i've repeated this post on the chem eng forum as I dont know where the best place to post this is) - sorry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not knowledgeable about any online steam quality meters. Once you check your steam quality (by a throttling calorimeter) and have proper distribution system, the chances for frequent change in the quality is low. It all depends upon your wallet thickness.

James1030bruce,

I have wanted something like this for many years, my application measuring the wetness fraction of steam leaving the LP turbine, in order to get a grip on turbine efficiency. The only thing I have come accross is EPRI reference 1004051 Demonstration of EPRI STEEM Optical probe for steam quality measurement. However, this report was done in 2001, thus there may be something commercial at this stage.

If you do find something there will be many performance engineers out there who will be VERY interested!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back