Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steam sparger design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law

Mechanical
Oct 30, 2002
US
So I have a situation here. I have a tank that has steam injection into it via a south sparger 4" inlet 125# steam. The north sparger is 3" 125# steam. I need to get 12500 # per hour through these spargers. I designed two 3" spargers with spray tips on them. The "old" north sparger had 6 3/4" holes cut in with no nozzles. The south sparger had roughly 30 - 40 holes cut in it with no pattern. From what I saw the 4" sparger was plugging in the bottom half which tells me that it was not functioning properly. I have not asked operations if the previous spargers were meeting demand. I calculated the "New" spargers to be able to handle 15000 lb/hr. Given that the demand would be 12500 lb/hr. Does anyone have the break down of the calculation that I can use to make sure I am designing this properly? I am away from the calculations I used to size this right now and wanted to get a comparator calculation set to see if I am doing this correctly. I got a call last night from operations after commissioning and they told me that they are only getting 170 degrees F on the temperature indicator. I need to get it closer to 200 degrees F. Any help is appreciated.

BSME3

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back