Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

steam tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailoday28

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2004
US
Can someone explain the advantages of purchasing NIST steam tables as opposed to going to their website?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The thermophysical properties included in the STEAM Database are:
• temperature • Helmholtz energy • thermodynamic
• pressure • Gibbs energy derivatives
• density • fugacity • thermal conductivity
• volume • isothermal • viscosity
• quality compressibility • dielectric constant
• enthalpy • volume expansivity • dielectric derivatives
• internal energy • speed of sound • Debye-Hückel slopes
• entropy • Joule-Thomson • refractive index
• Cv coefficient • surface tension
•Cp • Prandtl number • Kinematic viscosity
• Ionization constant (pKw) • Virial Coefficients • Exergy

Using a Windows® interface, the STEAM database generates tables and plots of property values at specified conditions corresponding to saturation conditions, a fixed property value (isotherm, isobar, etc.), or individual values of two independent variables. Vapor-liquid, vapor-solid, and liquid-solid saturation calculations with either temperature or pressure specified are available. The user can specify which properties to display and the units in which to enter and display data. Additional features include an interactive on-line help system, the ability to plot calculated points and a wide variety of thermodynamic diagrams, and the capability to copy and paste data to and from other applications.

Source code: The FORTRAN subroutines and associated data files are provided for those wishing to access NIST-10 calculations from their own applications.

Excel spreadsheets: A sample spreadsheet is included that demonstrates how the DLL can be linked to Excel. Most properties that are available in the graphical interface can also be calculated in the spreadsheet.

What properties of steam do you need for this? Do you use any software for simulation, or is it rather rough, "hand" calculation for one case?
I sometimes use website steam tables when I have relatively simple case to calculate in my work, for example check calculations. But for more in-depth analysis or simulation I use electronic steam tables for Mathcad or Excel.

Transient flow downstream of a safety valve- that is a difficult numerical problem to solve- involving shock waves . Generally this is handled by pHd's at Nasa or associated contractors, standard 3D FEM software will not accurately solve this problem, although you may get an answer with colorful plots that impress the VPs. .

"In this bright future, you can't forget your past..." Bob Marley

davefitz (Mechanical
My thoughts are that method of characteristics is the way to go. An over-simplification is an analysis of a shock tube open to the atmosphere. Perhaps this topic should be discussed on another forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back