Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steam Turbine Blade Design Resources 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

poetix99

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2002
US

(I posted the same message to Aero Eng'rg forum; sorry for repetition...)

I am looking for software and/or consulting resources to perform (or assist in) the aero/thermo design and analysis of a new “airfoil” profile for the rotating blades of steam turbine. Experience with turbomachinery (as distinct from wing design) is required.

I used the word “airfoil” in quotes because the rotating blades must be nominally an impulse type of design. Specifically:
- Very high amounts of fluid turning in the direction of blade disk rotation.
- Very small amount of the total stage pressure drop is across the rotating row (0 - 15%).

The shape that I want is definitely not a "classic" airfoil shape, and its application is in a bladed disk assembly without a free stream as such.

I am relatively new to Eng-Tips and have reviewed many of the threads in the Aero Engineering Forum, Turbine Engineering Forum, etc.

Because of the characteristics of my application (typical of impulse turbines), some of the inexpensive (and otherwise useful) design s/w such as “CompuFoil” (ref. thread 1-2543) is not directly applicable.

I have located some prospects through web-searches and will continue to explore these leads. Any suggestions will be appreciated and followed-up.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It sounds like the company I work for, we make turbine blade design software,amongst other things and do extensive consulting.
If your design is radical, you would be well advised to include a FEM structural study as well, to see if will hold together.

Good Luck in your design.

Thanks, "Zog".

Interesting timing; your co. was already on my list & is among those to which I will send an RFQ before the day is out...

Thanks again.
Poetix99

This is a Wild Guess, but it might work or lead you to a different solution. Go to Ricardo Plc.'s they have a turbine program. Before you call their eastern US office, determine whether this is a "for profit" or "not for profit" use. Tell them what you are trying to design to find out if they can help. It requires a small training seminar before you can use it (see if you can attend when it is offered to enginneering students at nearby university or to a larger group of corporate engineers). I was very pleased by their helpful, professional attitude. All engineers need inspiration to keep going - read everything you can about Sir Harry Ricardo. Why the Pope hasn't canonized him as The Patron Saint of Modern Engineering - I don't know. Please post how it turns out! Thanks.

We do not do analysis or redesign work, but we do manufacture prototypes (such as for G.E. or Conmec, among others)and complete sets of steam turbine blading, and gas turbine compressor blading.

We are the largest non-OEM manufacturer in the world.

Joe Walker / Stork H&E Turbo Blading. Steam turbine blades, buckets, nozzles, gas turbine compressor blades, vanes, IGV, rotors, stators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back