Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Steam vs Hot Water Heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ME27272727

Mechanical
May 15, 2014
US
I have a project where high pressure district steam is available and distributed to buildings on an industrial site. My scope is heating and ventilating about 50,000 SF of manufacturing space. I'm deciding whether to reduce pressure at the building steam entrance and distribute low pressure steam to heating coils, or to install a steam condenser and run a hot water (most likely glycol) hydronic loop for the building. For comfort cooling in commercial buildings, I would typically install a condenser and run hot water due to simplicity of modern hot water systems and controls. But in the industrial setting (and with heating coils exposed to freezing entering air), I think steam is the way to go. With everyone these days ripping out steam and installing hot water, I'd like to hear your thoughts to make sure I'm not missing something by staying with steam.

It's been a while since I've seen a steam vs hot water discussion; it's time to revive the debate. What say you?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you actually have knowledge and experience designing steam systems and are local contractors and more importantly the operators knowledgeable as well?
many people think they know steam, and then have noisy and terrible steam systems. the " old guys" knowing how to operate steam are also dying out. so if the answer to any above is " no", go with hydronic.

There are good reasons for the one or the other, but if it isn't done and operated right, it is a failure.

Hi ME272
I'd go with the steam to the individual buildings and at each building install a Steam to LPHW heat exchanger. Distribute LPHW to the heating coils thereafter
Steam to the buildings is very efficient was of distributing energy where you have long runs from a central boiler house. LPHW to the heating coils is easy and controls are simple.
I work in a large manufacturing facility and that is how we do it.
Hope this helps
W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back