Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Beam Splice with Diamond shaped web plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

1437n6

Civil/Environmental
Aug 5, 2007
US
Regarding the web plates installed on a beam splice, does anyone know why a diamond shape would be used in lieu of a standard rectangular plate? I have seen this on older structures and some erectors have mentioned this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe economy and the fact that the inclined struts may be more rigid upon the weld. A FEM comparison would be interesting. It may also follow some literature of the era giving guide for the detail and taunting its advantages.

If you have a picture, post it please. All splice plates that I have seen at the heavy structural steel plant that I worked for over ten years were rectangular in shape.

Yes, the older diamond shaped splice plates were favored for reducing material costs back when material costs were higher than labor. As you know this hasn't been the case for many, many years but recent market changes in steel prices have come close.

Thinking of the purpose for the splice which is to replace the section that is missing you need to have the minimum section or greater at the splice. After that it's about the length necessary to developing the full section at the splice but not about sectional area.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back