Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Bin Retaining Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarthJ

Structural
Dec 7, 2006
CA
I would appreciate it if anyone could recommend references (books/articles) for the design of steel bin crib walls.

Also, please see the attached picture. It shows the buckled flange of a Type II bin wall vertical connector. Has anyone seen this sort of thing before? I'm not sure of the height of the wall but I believe it's more than 8 M. I would appreciate any comments.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b989aac2-3dfb-4d8b-a992-3a7792c90143&file=13.07.23_Site_Picture_of_buckling_vertical_connector_20130723_131306_(00516736xBEE68).jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While I have not been involved with crib walls, a quick view of a Google search shows numerous crib wall failures and other installations, Frequently for stability and possibly due to the weak bearing capability of that type wall, they generally are built with a lean back that greatly can reduce the horizontal pressures and accordingly reduce the hang-up of material inside the bin. The configure of the metal quite obviously has weak bearing capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back