Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Steel column base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veer007

Civil/Environmental
Sep 7, 2016
IN
Hey guys, For the steel column baseplate, is levelling plate or levelling nut required per AS/NZS? Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks in advance!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Section 15.5 is reference in AS4100-98 version. Unsure whether there are any differences in the 2020 version.

Level grout/mortar bed is required. It doesn't say that levelling nuts or levelling plates/shims are required but does say that they are to be located under the baseplate.

Generally on Structural drawings and specifications I would expect to see grout pad nominated with sufficient depth for levelling nuts. Reference to levelling nuts under baseplates would be in the structural specifications.

AS4100-1998 - 15.5.1
"... Steel packing or levelling nuts on the anchor bolts shall be under the base
plate to support the steelwork. The space under the steel shall be thoroughly cleaned and be free from
moisture immediately before grouting."

Also 15.3.2.3
"Packs, shims and other supporting devices shall be flat and of the same steel grade as the
member. If such packings are to be subsequently grouted, they shall be placed so that the
grout totally encloses them with a minimum cover of 50 mm."

When I have raised levelling plates or compressible levelling bolts/washers the blokes on sight look at me like I have rocks in my head.

Standard procedure from what I've seen is shimming or leveling nuts and be damned if the hold down bolts could be compromised by stress concentrations.

You'll also find similar stuff in AS/NZS5131 standard, there are a number of additional requirements. I believe this supercedes the erection and fabrication requirements in steel standard these days. Refer to sections 11.6.3 & 11.6.4 of as/NZS5131 for further information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back