Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel column to concrete block wall air seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan CA

Structural
Mar 10, 2018
CA
Hi everyone,

I have this existing building with above-grade exterior concrete block walls and steel columns. The steel columns werr not air sealed and you can feel air draft through at the web and flange corner. The attached sketch illustrate the situation.
How do I air seal the gaps between the columns and the block walls? What details and materials would you recommend?

SmartSelect_20211227-200739_S_Note_os1m9o.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is great, thank you very much.
Gaps I have are almost 1 in. in width.
What compressible fillers would you think I'll need?

I would think something like neoprene or something of that ilk. If it is to be clad with a finish, you might consider a product like blueskin.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

I'm guessing one side is exterior, and one is interior.
Goes the the exterior side get wet from weather?
I'd seal the outside flange first to prevent water ingress, damage and corrosion, and if objections to drafts continue the inside flanges as necessary.

When there are big differences in outside and inside temperatures I'd expect a noticeable convective loop of cold air flowing down the warm wall. The steel column with exposed flanges is pretty effective heat exchanger. Residential window "draft" complaints are sometimes are based on convective loops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back