Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

STEEL DESIGN OF TRUSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

haysian

Student
Apr 1, 2024
PH
How should load combinations be applied in monopitch trapezoidal truss for analysis? Is it applied to all joints? For instance, if I have 34 joints (17 on the top chord and 17 on the bottom chord), should I consider 16 on each side, since each joint in the side can support half (0.5) of the load combination?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How should load combinations be applied in monopitch trapezoidal truss for analysis?
Load combination =/= Loads (or load case).

For instance, if I have 34 joints (17 on the top chord and 17 on the bottom chord)
I am assuming your truss is a roof. If it is a roof, you have the loads being applied to the top chord. Let's assume for the same condition you have something hanging from the bottom chord, then you can apply that load to the bottom chord. So, the location of the load whether top or bottom chord is dependent on your framing.

Preferably have your loads at panel points or joints for better performance whether it's top or bottom chord.

For instance, if I have 34 joints (17 on the top chord and 17 on the bottom chord), should I consider 16 on each side, since each joint in the side can support half (0.5) of the load combination?
Consider all joints that will have loads on them. The ends will have 0.5(half) as you mentioned but the other 15 joints will have full load (1) on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back