Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Steel fabrication and erection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStructsteel

Structural
Aug 22, 2002
US
Should steel buildings be called out to be fabricated and erected per AISC 303? I see alot of notes to use the "specification for the design fabrication and erection of structural steel for buildings"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my mind this is typically done, i.e. AISC 303 is the Code of Standard Practice, but now that I'm looking through my trove, at least two one firms does not explicitly mention this standard, and they were fairly substantial projects - one a High School expansion, the other a three story building (both 2014). The former I actually met the engineer years prior (decades?), and they struck me as very detailed and knowledgeable, so it being missing from the drawings was a bit of a surprise, though it's possible, given it was a high school, that it was referenced in some three part specifications I never saw. The former I didn't do any work on, that was just a bid for connection design that didn't win.

I believe it's a referenced standard in the IBC, so it's "included" there? On a residential project this might fall through the cracks and not be referenced, except with the "conforming to the IBC always works" side of the coin, so it's referenced that way, circuitous but it's referenced?

On larger projects it's worth referencing explicitly, particularly if you are delegating connection design, as the COSP has some elements that are NOT connection design, and you'll want to provide those, or indicate they aren't needed (doubler plates, member reinforcement, and whatnot, as I recall).

ETA: Actually::::

"STRUCTURAL STEEL:
Structural steel shall be detailed, fabricated and erected in compliance with AISC Specification for the design, fabrication, erection of
structural steel for building, and Code of standard practice, and OSHA steel erection standards"

and​

"Per Section 7.10.1 of the Code of Standard Practice For Steel Buildings and Bridges the lateral-load-resisting system and diaphragm
elements provide for lateral strength and stability in the completed structure."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back