Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel frame masonary wall connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snatch

Structural
Dec 13, 2000
MS
I am working on the construction of a small warehouse builing 60' X 40'. The building is a steel framed building with masonry blockwork as the walls. I am looking for the best means to connect the steel frame and masonry blockwork, in particular the steel column masonry block wall connection or the steel beam masonry block connection…

Thanks,
SN

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I hope you're working with other experienced engineers who can help you with some company typical detsils for this. A lot depends on what you're trying to accomplish. For instance, if your entire lateral resisting system is the steel framing the connections are different than if the CMU walls are shear walls.

I am guessing that you are asking this simply to be able to brace the top of the wall (assuming you would have asked how to tie the diaphragm into the wall if you were concerned about getting the loads into the shearwalls).
JedClampett makes a good point that the connection detail will be different depending on what you are trying to accomplish.
If you are simply trying to brace the top of the wall so you don't have a cantilevered wall, we have used a bent plate welded to the WF and epoxied into the CMU.

It would be helpful to know if the roof is a diaphragm or not. If so, a detail tying the beam to the masonry and then bracing the bottom of beam to the diaphragm is a good detail. If it's not a diaphragm, you probably need to design the masonry to span vertically and use a wind girt near the top of the wall - I like to use Tapcon or Hilti masonry screws to fasten a girt to the masonry.

There are many anchors out there that are suitable for attaching masonry to the steel frame. Go to MTEK sites and look at the e-TEKS by the National Concrete Masonry Association. They have detail and suggestions. Remeber to put control joints in the masonry at columns. Wire ties work well at the columns. The top connection will be different like the others have said depending on whether you are utilizing shear walls or not. If you are only bracing the wall, masonry anchors should do. Check Dayton Richmond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back