Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Steel friction reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

compositestress

Aerospace
Dec 6, 2005
US
Does anyone have a copy of this reference.

page3-55 table 3.2 of "Esbach's Handbook of Engineering Fundamentals", Fourth Edition, 1990 by Byron B. Tapley.

Would appreciate a copy of table 3.2

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have an earlier edition (it must be, since I bought it before 1990). Given that there might be small differences in the editions, can you give us the title of the table so I can make certain it is the same table?

Slighthly off thread--I can't believe the book is going for 12 bucks. I believe my dad paid over $60 for the one he gave me 20 years ago!

Is the friction coefficient in steel on steel couple really that stable? We did a large experimental program with aluminum on aluminum, discovered that the friction coefficient varied greatly depending on normal force applied to the pads we were holding against the coupon, and also varied with the applied fatigue load on the coupon. Depending on the combinations of parameters, you might get 0.4, you might get 0.9, quite a spread. Of course steel being harder might not see such a spread in friction coefficients.

steel on steel depends very heavily on the cleanliness of the interface, amongst other things.

Nominally identical joints in an automotive assembly setting can show variations of a factor of 2.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

compositestress:
in the absence of actual experimental data, what you are left with is 'anything.' I have my 3rd edition of Eshbach here, there is no page 3-55, nor is there a table 3.2. My reference has one table, chapter 4. Mechanics of Rigid Bodies, Section 26, Friction: Static and Kinetic Friction. Table 1 is titled "Coefficients of Static and Kinetic Friction." For steel on steel, static friction (remember this is the ratio of the force needed to get a block started divided by the normal force between the block and the platform where the block rests) is 0.15, sliding friction is listed as 0.09 for velocity of 10 ft. per second, 0.03 for velocity of 100 ft. per second. This table is from Hudson's Manual, p. 102. I have no idea what Hudson's Manual is.

compositestress:
do you still need that table? I can't be certain that my table in Edition 3 is the same as the Edition 4 table you have requested; I'd be happy to send scanned in (2 pages) of the friction section, which includes a friction coefficient table for various material couples, if you like. drfea@yahoo.com for your request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back