Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel: joint 'panel zone' shear strength 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kogo

Civil/Environmental
Jun 15, 2001
US
Chap 22 Div 1 Sec 2211.7.2.1, 1994 UBC states;

V=(joint 'panel zone' shear strength)
formula 11-1
for a joint composed of given sections.

In my case I have a single bent, fixed at the top and pinned at base. Girder = Columns = W12x30.
Can anyone give a method to evaluate the Moment associated with V? Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

FEMA-350 RECOMMENDED DESIGN CRITERIA FOR NEW STEEL MOMENT-FRAME BUILDINGS Covers in detail this topic with analysis and design methods for frames that conform to certain requirements.

Thanks a lot CLEVEGAR, your reply was really helpful. California building officials are getting tough with the new code requirements with respect to special moment resistant frames, which took effect just 2 months ago. All the while, I thought, I had a great set of plans under review. Thanks again.

Just a note of caution to all of us engineers involved with this section of the building code. This part of the code has been under intensive scrutiny since the 1994 Northridge Earthquake, resulting in the FEMA reccomendations mentioned above. It is referred to as "reccomendations" simply because it has been developed after the 1994 UBC has been published. However, the FEMA reccomendations are now commonly accepted as the authority on this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back