Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Material Properties 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFAnvil

Structural
Jun 10, 2010
US
I'm working on an analysis of an existing structure (1990 construction) where the original steel was called out as "V-star 50 Group A Steel." This sounds like a trade name. Does anyone know the original manufacturer or what the ASTM associated with this steel would be?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the product form?

I couldn't find V-Star referenced to a steel product in the trademark registration. There's not that many V-companies, though. Could it be a Vulcraft product, for example?

I spoke to a former Bethlehem Steel engineer about this. He told me the following:

Bethlehem did have a steel grade called "V-STAR 50".

When Bethlehem introduced their high-strength structural steels in the 60's they called them "V-Steels" since their strength came from Vanadium. USS (EX-TEN) used Columbium. These steels became ASTM A572.

In 1991 Bethlehem's H and sheet piling sections (and structural shapes) became available as "V-STAR 50" = (Vanadium - Strength, Toughness, As Rolled w/ a 50 ksi yield). It conformed to A572-Grade 50.

We offered PZ35/40 to CVN 15 Ft-Lb @ 0 degrees F and all other sheet piling and H-piling sections to CVN 15 Ft-Lb @ -50 degrees F.

V-Star 50 also had improved weldability.

I don't know what the "...... Group A Steel" is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back