Steel MC Channel information

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacesetter

Mechanical
Sep 22, 2006
CA
Hi,

I am considering using some MC channel in a structure. It appears that the flanges are not tapered. Where can I find detailed information on MC channel? Does it meet any ASTM spec?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your AISC Manual should have all the properties, and probably the availability in the various ASTM specs and yield stress. "M" just stands for miscellaneous, and there are a lot of MC shapes. I think they all have tapered flanges, but I could be out of date on that.

Thanks,

I am looking for the "ship/car" MC channels that have relatively thick flanges. My CISC book has the section properties but does not include any detail on the angle of taper or size of inside radius.

I am going to focus on asking some suppliers... but I still have yet to find one.

How thick are the flanges? Tapered flange channels in a given depth generally have the same average flange thickness, because of the way they are rolled. The web thickness increases as more steel is added. The thickest average flange thickness for MC channels is .7" for the MC12 channels.

All this is based on American standards. You may have some other types in Canada. In Australia, we now have only parallel flange changes. Oh for standardisation! Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back